Spockvarietyhour

Danny, I am thirty or forty years old. He/Him. Lots of Scifi and way too much media, too many gifs. Not a DW Rewatch Rewatch (S10), It's Not a Stargate Rewatch Rewatch (SGA S5). Vigil (S1). Various other media.
Home A Pocket Full of Lies A Sky Full of Stars Archive

#Canadian Politics

spockvarietyhour nudityandnerdery
violetsandshrikes

The Miꞌkmaq people are facing hostility and threats in Eastern Canada over the right to fish to sustain themselves. 

This has included:

  • “In response to Mi’kmaq fishers setting up 150 out of their 350 allowed traps, non-Indigenous fishers gathered at the wharf in Digby to protest.”
  • “One of the ways Nova Scotian fishers have found it appropriate to protest Mi’kmaq harvesting practices has been to chase down boats and fire flares directly at them. There have also been attempts to ram small boats with much larger vessels.”
  • Two people being arrested and charged with assault.
  • “Lobster traps in St. Mary’s Bay were vandalized, their lines were cut, and the traps were left on the shore.”
  • “Some fishers have posted calls on social media to reimplement the Canadian residential school system, and for other harsh treatment of Indigenous peoples and their children.” 
  • A lobster boat belonging to a Mi’kmaq fisher has been destroyed by a suspicious fire at a wharf in southwestern Nova Scotia.

These people have the right to sustainably fish on their own land and support their livelihoods. Megan Bailey, professor at Dalhousie University’s Marine Affairs program, an expert, has said that there is no conservation concern as has otherwise been claimed. “The scale of the livelihood fishery as it exists right now with 350 traps is not a conservation concern.”

Ways you can support the Mi’kmaq people (both on this front + other issues):

Treaty Truckhouse Legal Fund - Grassroots Grandmothers, Mi'kmaw Rights Holders and others continue to stand united as water protectors of the Shubenacadie River in the Sipekne'katik District of Mi'kma'ki, where Alton Gas intends to dump salt brine equivalent to 3000 tonnes of hard salt every day.

  • Another donation link is here, or e-transfers can be sent to treatytruckhousefund@gmail.com 

Support for our Eskasoni Mi’kmaq Fishers - Supplying resources for the fishers to continue the battle to have access to moderate livelihood fishery.

Mi’kmaq Fishers: To show support you can donate funds via e-transfer to the following emails with the message “donation”:

  • wasawek39@hotmail.ca
  • ravenchanelleaugustine@gmail.com

If you have any useful additions, please let me know, and I will add anything that I find. Also please spread this around, awareness is also important so that these issues do not fly under the radar and get a pass.

knife-red

update on this since its been a few weeks, it hasnt stopped and it got even worse last night


image
image


smalltall

I talked to the woman in charge of Fisheries at the Sipekne’katik Nations office, she says there are NO gofundme drives affiliated with their fleet. If you want to give money, contact Monica at monicah@sipeknekatik.ca. I repeat: THE FISHERY IS NOT AFILIATED WITH ANY GOFUNDMES.

violetsandshrikes

Thank you for the clarification, it looks like the fishery gofundme is down!

IMPORTANT TO NOTE GUYS: donate through their official channels as they currently DO NOT have a gofundme!!

canadian politicsracismMi'kmaqNova Scotiacurrent events
35,004 notes Oct 19, 2020
spockvarietyhour elf-ear-enthusiast
peniswakt-deactivated20210717

image

"Twin Towers Collapse as Tensions Continue Between Terrorists and Civilians"

peniswakt-deactivated20210717

for those not familiar with what's going on in nova scotia rn: local white fishermen have been terrorizing the natives for using their (legally guaranteed!) fishing rights and so far the rcmp have done basically nothing to stop them, and the "fire" mentioned in the headline was an act of fucking arson.

Canadian Politicsdisgusting
24,684 notes Oct 18, 2020
spockvarietyhour venusian-revolution
Action Kit: STOP Autism Speaks from Controlling Canadian Autism Policy
Autism Speaks is acting with and through two Canadian non-profits that it funds, CASDA and the Pacific Family Autism Network, to create the “National Autism Strategy.”
a4aontario.com
allthecanadianpolitics

Sign the Petition here!

We are at a crisis moment in Canada. Autism Speaks, an organization that is broadly condemned by autistic people, is poised to be in control of much of Canada’s autism policy. This includes funding for health, housing, police education, and social services. They are doing this through a proposed national policy initiative called the National Autism Strategy.

Every autistic-led advocacy group in Canada opposes the National Autism Strategy.

Instead, we want government to include autistic people within its broader disability policies. This is crucial to our human rights.

Please Take Action: See “Act Now” at the bottom of this page.

Continue Reading.

Tagging: @politicsofcanada

caddy-crystal-queen

I’m not Canadian but my boyfriend is. This fucking organization shouldn’t even exist, let alone have power. Fuck these people

celinedgd

NO NO NO NO NO PLEASE DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN. FUCK.
PLEASE HELP AND SIGNAL BOOST THIS.

martinkhall

Because of internet problems I’m currently having I can’t click the continue reading link. Is there anything non-Canadians can do?

allthecanadianpolitics

The petition above can be signed by anyone.

Signal boost as much as possible.

This website is very us-centric but the more non-Canadians that share it, the better a chance that Canadians will see it on their dashboard.

Canadian PoliticsAutismAutism Speaksthe link is to a post from May 30 but the info is still relevant as it is an ongoing issue
7,303 notes Oct 5, 2020
spockvarietyhour ourladyofthepies
Man punches teen with autism and police rule it self-defence, family shocked
The 13-year-old had been learning about physical distancing, and was flapping his arms as a way to tell the man not to stand too close. The man responded aggressively.
bc.ctvnews.ca
allthecanadianpolitics

 A Surrey family is horrified their 13-year-old son, who is on the autism spectrum, was punched in the face by a middle-aged man and police are not pursuing the case further.

It happened last Monday morning at the food court at Central City Shopping Centre in Surrey, B.C.

The boy’s mother is outraged.

“A 200-pound adult punched my kid, who is barely 70 pounds,” said Yanyan Yao.

–

Submitted by shantaia 

twerp

Yanyan Yao started an online petition for her son, Howie, to get a proper investigation done and to spread awareness. It hasn’t reached its goal yet.

He’s a child who got traumatized for trying to communicate. Please rb this.

oceanic-panic-panic

Also note that this is not just police ignorance to ableist violence towards children, but also racial violence, and in this case to Asian people, Asian children.

So, if you say Anti-Asian sentiment and violence is non existent and that we are ‘priviliged,’ go fuck yourself

canadian politicssurrey bchowie yaoautismracismableismuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
22,458 notes Sep 3, 2020
spockvarietyhour nudityandnerdery
Opinion | The world is realizing the U.S. is no longer committed to basic standards of decency
The United States is no longer a safe third country in Canada’s eyes.
washingtonpost.com
nudityandnerdery

“Justice Ann Marie McDonald ruled that Canada’s practice of turning back third-country refugees who try to cross at official points of entry along the U.S.-Canada frontier — on the theory that they have already reached a safe harbor in the United States — no longer makes sense given the atrocious treatment to which they are subjected south of the border. Canada, she wrote, can no longer turn a blind eye to the reality that the United States denies decent and dignified treatment to asylum seekers.”

Congratulations, America.

U.S. PoliticsCanadian Politicssafe third country
579 notes Jul 28, 2020
spockvarietyhour nudityandnerdery
krxs100

image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image

Toronto Off-Duty Officer and Brother Given Slap On The Wrist After Blinding Young Man

Ontario Superior Court Judge Joseph Di Luca delivered a verdict today in the case of an off-duty Toronto police officer and his brother, Const. Michael Theriault and Christian Theriault, who were accused of beating Dafonte Miller on December 28, 2016.

During the trial, Miller, 19 at the time of the incident, told the court that more than three years ago, in the early hours of the morning, he was walking with his friends in Whitby, Ontario when two men standing in a garage began questioning him. Miller said the two men started to chase him between homes before they eventually began beating him. He said Michael used a metal pipe, while Christian used his hands and feet.

 According to Miller’s lawyers, his left eye was entirely dislodged and split into four, leading him to lose his ability to see out of this eye entirely and he also had trouble seeing out of his right eye. He also suffered injuries including a broken orbital bone, bruised ribs, broken nose and a fractured wrist.

.In a virtual court proceeding Friday morning, the judge found Michael Theriault guilty of assault, but not aggravated assault. 

He was also found not guilty of attempting to obstruct justice in connection to the case. Christian Theriault, meanwhile, was found not guilty on both counts.

HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP:

SIGN

DONATE

Follow here for more news

#WAKEUP

thestrayxiii

@allthecanadianpolitics

canadian politicsjustice systemdafonte millerpolice brutalityblmracism
8,268 notes Jul 3, 2020
spockvarietyhour nudityandnerdery
Mayor apologizes after facing criticism for appearance at Trinity Bellwoods park
The Mayor issued a statement on Sunday evening saying he wanted to apologize for his behaviour.
680news.com
allthecanadianpolitics

Toronto Mayor John Tory is apologizing after facing criticism for making an appearance at Trinity Bellwoods park on Saturday.

Outrage began brewing on social media as photos of the mayor at the park circulated online over the weekend.

A post on Reddit showed the mayor speaking with park visitors with his mask pulled down over his chin at what appears to be a distance of less than two metres.

Another post on Imgur showed the mayor among a group of people, once again with his mask pulled down.

Continue Reading.

Tagging: @abpoli @politicsofcanada @torontopoli @onpoli

fueltransitsleep

image

Best response to this I’ve seen so far

Source: 680news.com
quarantinecovid19canadian politicsjohn torytoronto
302 notes May 27, 2020
spockvarietyhour haaaaaaaaave-you-met-ted
Alberta premier calls energy transition an 'ideological scheme'
When a reporter asked Alberta Premier Jason Kenney whether plummeting oil prices merit a discussion about energy transition, Kenney questioned the reporter's credentials and criticized him for asking the question. The Premier also unveiled details of a new well-cleanup program, which critics said could leave taxpayers on the hook for oil and gas liabilities.
nationalobserver.com
garmbreak1

“With the oil and gas market taking such a hit, when do you start thinking about a transition away from fossil fuels?” Tom Ross, the reporter for Calgary’s 660 News, asked.

“Our focus is on getting people back to work, not pie-in-the-sky ideological schemes,” Kenney said, flanked by his energy and environment ministers.

Oil is doing well: “We can’t transition away from oil, we’re making so much money off of it.”

Oil is doing terribly: “We can’t transition away from oil now, they need us!”

i hate this place man

argumate

referring to solar power as a sun-in-the-sky ideological scheme

plum-soup

the great flaming pie in the sky

albertacanadacanadian politics
112 notes Apr 26, 2020
spockvarietyhour nudityandnerdery
star-anise

Tine for a slice of Schadenfreude Pie: Alberta’s health minister, who likes to cut health funding during an epidemic, is completely melting down now that the public is aware that he and his wife own a company that provides private health insurance. Melting down as in “screaming and crying in a neighbour’s driveway saying his neighbour should take down a Facebook post about his potential conflict of interest.”

All the sympathy I’d normally have for a dude under intense public pressure and scrutiny has gone to the same place as most of Alberta’s public mental health funding, ie. it’s been cut by government austerity measures.

ooofAlbertaCanadian Politics
3,113 notes Mar 29, 2020
spockvarietyhour
MPs vote to suspend House, delay budget amid COVID-19 concerns | CBC News
MPs have decided to temporarily close Parliament and move the federal budget amid concerns about the spreading COVID-19 pandemic.
cbc.ca
Canadian PoliticsCovid-19Parliament
1 note Mar 13, 2020
Back Next
Powered by Tumblr Install this theme